Re: [Monotone-devel] renaming monotone executable (again)

From: Matt Johnston
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] renaming monotone executable (again)
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 18:03:15 +0800

On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 04:15:53AM -0800, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
>   -- Having a single, standard abbrev is very useful.  If, for
>      instance, we switch the command name to "mtn", we should also (I
>      suggest):
>        -- make the bookkeeping directory MTN (instead of MT)
>        -- make the ignore file .mtn-ignore (instead of .mt-ignore)
>        -- switch to using the ".mtn" extension for db files
>           consistently in documentation, etc.  (There is no
>           competition for this extension, according to filext.com.)
>        -- switch the namespace prefix on attrs we know about, except
>           that by some lucky coincidence this is already "mtn" ;-).

It seems awkward that a program ('mtn') would produce an
output directory that conflicts with itself ('MTN') on
case-insensitive filesystems. I think the aesthetic
inconsistency of staying with 'MT' (or something else) would
be the lesser evil compared with having conflicting names.
'.MTN' is an alternative, though personally I think I prefer
the obvious nature of a visible filename.

Anyone got better ideas?

And 'mto' is better than 'mtn' :)

Matt