Re: [Monotone-devel] question about cvs import

From: Jordan Breeding
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] question about cvs import
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 16:19:54 -0600

On Tuesday, March 28, 2006, at 10:49AM, Markus Schiltknecht <address@hidden>
wrote:

>On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 09:05 -0600, Jordan Breeding wrote:
>> Does cvs import know how to create real branch points on import yet?
>
>monotone can currently import cvs branches, but does not connect them to
>the parent branch. This is because it's often not easy to correctly
>determinate the time of the branching.
>
>I'm working on a solution and have already written automatic tests, but
>that's about it as of now. Currently I'm quite busy so I can't promise
>anything.
>
>By the way: Nathaniel, is it okay to work in a branch
>n.v.m.experiment.cvsimport? Or what branch name would you propose? My
>public key is attached.
>
>Regards
>
>Markus

I really like Monotone compared to say svn, and I like that cvs import is able
to do incremental imports (at least it was the last time I checked -- before
rosters).  But I would also really like it if branches retained history and
were real branches.  cvs2svn.pl seems to get branch points right, is it
possible to reuse some of their work?  For instance here is a log entry in the
GCC svn repo via their online browser:

Revision 39618 - Directory Listing
Modified Tue Feb 13 08:46:00 2001 UTC (5 years, 1 month ago) by
Copied from: trunk revision 39599

This commit was manufactured by cvs2svn to create branch
'gcc-3_0-branch'.

For what it's worth cvs2svn also seems to pick branch points correctly for the
cvs repo I would like to use in monotone.

Jordan