Re: [Monotone-devel] question about cvs import

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] question about cvs import
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 12:43:41 +0200

Hello Jordan,

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 16:19 -0600, Jordan Breeding wrote:
> I really like Monotone compared to say svn, and I like that cvs import
> is able to do incremental imports (at least it was the last time I
> checked -- before rosters).  But I would also really like it if
> branches retained history and were real branches.  cvs2svn.pl seems to
> get branch points right, is it possible to reuse some of their work?

AFAICT Monotone's cvsimport works a lot like cvs2svn.

> For what it's worth cvs2svn also seems to pick branch points correctly
> for the cvs repo I would like to use in monotone.

I do have the very same problem. I also thought about changing cvs2svn
to provide (better) inputs for tailor. A cvs2tailor script could be more
multifunctional since tailor can export to many different VCS.

Another option I have tried was converting my CVS tree with cvs2svn and
then with tailor from svn to monotone. Unfortunately tailor a) does not
import branches automatically, b) clutters the changelog and c) fails
when exporting to monotone. (..when I last checked). So that solution
failed for me, but you might be more lucky.

Your email request yesterday encouraged me to check my current cvsimport
stuff. I'll try to share my work tomorrow (push it to net.venge). But
it's all mainly experimenting - I still don't fully understand the
cvsimport algorithm of monotone (or cvs2svn, for that matter).

Regards

Markus