Re: [Monotone-devel] cvsimport branch reconstruction

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] cvsimport branch reconstruction
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 14:06:33 +0200

Hello Nathaniel,

On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 01:32 -0700, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> I'm not really qualified to even judge whether this approach is good
> or not.  But maybe I could become more qualified, and everyone else
> too, if you worked out what cvs2svn does to solve this problem, and
> posted a description of that?  (Perhaps with a comparison of what it
> does differently, too.)

Well, I just followed the simplest path to get those branches connected.
I'm quite sure my variant currently does not connect branches wrongly.
If in doubt, it doesn't connect them.

> I'm not suggesting this to just be annoying -- rather, because, that's
> by far the most battle-hardened cvs parser freely available[1], and
> this is the sort of nasty problem that just can't be solved except by
> lots and lots of grunt labor, trying solutions, seeing how they fail,
> improving the solutions, etc.  It's just not the sort of question that
> we really _can_ evaluate on the basis of a mailing list post :-(.  So
> we could either do that labor ourselves, or steal it from someone
> who's already done it :-).

Sure. I didn't mean to say my algorithm was better than cvs2svn's. It
just worked for me (some times). And it was feasible to do in some days
of after-work-hacking. Also I still think it's an improvment to at least
try to connect branches than to reject connecting them per se.

Regards

Markus