Re: [Monotone-devel] stats line length

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] stats line length
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 12:07:23 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Wed, 12 Apr 2006 11:50:03 +0200, Lapo Luchini
<address@hidden> said:

lapo.luchini> I guess the stats line (byte in/out, cert in/out, that
lapo.luchini> line...) is re-outputted every time its length changes,
lapo.luchini> is that so?

Yes.

lapo.luchini> "problem" is the new italian translation uses an arrow
lapo.luchini> instead of an ugly "ingresso/uscita" (translation of
lapo.luchini> in/out), and so the longest field is the one with the
lapo.luchini> numbers, and so it is re-printed quite often on a new
lapo.luchini> line...

It's the same with the Swedish translation, but that's mostly because
we insert a space in numbers at every third digit (americans insert a
comma), and that automatically makes the number field longer than the
title field in almost all current cases.

lapo.luchini> What do you think is the best choice?
lapo.luchini>
lapo.luchini> a. assure all translations use a longer column header
lapo.luchini>    (or pad it with spaces)
lapo.luchini> b. change the code to use the max length found
lapo.luchini>    (i.e. never go back on shorter lines)
lapo.luchini> c. change the code some other way

You forgot the fourth choice:

d. leave it as it is

Quite honestly, I don't find the effect very disturbing, even though
your example is a bit extreme...

As an comment to the choices you presented:

a. you mean like making all fields have a fixed minimum size?  Doable,
   but what size is the right minimum?
b. do you mean from the beginning or would you allow the fields to
   grow but never to shrink?  The latter would be simple enough to
   implement while I believe the former is more or less impossible,
   mostly because the future is so hard to predict :-).

Cheers,
Richard

-----

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/