Re: [Monotone-devel] Empty change log

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Empty change log
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 13:57:21 -0500

On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 09:43 +0200, Johan Bolmsjö wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is more of an question than a bug report:-)
>
> Currently it's not possible to do:
>
> $ mtn commit -m ""
> mtn: beginning commit on branch 'test'
> mtn: misuse: log message rejected: empty messages aren't allowed
>
> But it's possible to do:
>
> $ mtn commit -m " "
> mtn: beginning commit on branch 'test'
> mtn: committed revision 7ee27ff3e659d674a8008c4b7db814fcbac3968c
>
> Now I guess that in the case you enter the commit message in the text editor
> this is a protection mechanism (which I find very usefull).

In that case, it should say
   mtn: misuse: empty log message; commit canceled
. (Should this maybe be a W() or P() followed by "return", instead of an
N()? It's more a poorly-documented way to cancel a commit, rather than
user error.)

> But when doing it
> form the command line I can only assume that you folks don't like empty
> commit messages. If that is the case I think that the second example should
> fail too (only white space in commit message).

It's the default version of the validate_commit_message hook. I don't
think it's a very good default, so would anyone object to removing it?

Tim