Re: [Monotone-devel] slick pictures

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] slick pictures
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 00:27:16 -0700

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 01:38:56AM -0400, Yury Polyanskiy wrote:
> $ mtn diff -r 3895c20299d04 >~/tmp/p
> $ cd ..
> $ mtn --db=/path/my.db co -r 3895c20299d04 Lm2/
> $ cd Lm2/
> $ patch <~/tmp/p

You need to add "-p0" to this last command.

This isn't monotone's fault; without a "-p" switch, patch requires
that all files be in the same directory.  patch is crippled by
default, and there isn't much to be done about it; everyone simply
uses -p whenever they trade patches.  Monotone's patches are just as
valid as those produced by, for instance, 'diff'.

I'm not sure exactly what "hg import" does; patch has a lot of
complicated heuristics in it that it may or may not duplicate.
Perhaps this sort of confusion would make it worthwhile to include
some sort of 'mtn patch' command anyway, though.

In mathematics, it's not enough to read the words
you have to hear the music

This email may be read aloud.