Re: [Monotone-devel] conversion of a prcs repository & diff with keyword

From: Chad Walstrom
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] conversion of a prcs repository & diff with keywords
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 14:11:18 -0500

"Hugo Cornelis" <address@hidden>  wrote:
> I would like to evaluate monotone for a project (Neurospaces on
> sourceforge).  The current version history is kept using prcs, a
> project oriented version control system that is not maintained
> anymore.

Great choice to evaluate! ;-)

> Does anyone have experience converting a prcs repository to
> monotone?  How well can I keep everything stored in the repository
> (metadata, branch-merge history etc)?

Although I've had no experience with prcs, it appears to have a
backend store of RCS.  This is good news!  There appear to be a number
of "conversion" tools from RCS-to-something and even one for prcs2svn
(subversion). If you go from prcs->subversion, you can go from
subversion->monotone with Tailor.

> Second, from looking at the docs, I get the impression that monotone
> does not support keywords like $Id$, $ProjectVersion$ and alike.
> How do you deal with that when using monotone ?

Personally, I've given up on these types of keyword expansions.  If I
needed some sort of identifier in a C app, I would probably create a
header file via a custom Makefile target, adding the appropriate
(const char *) variables.

With autoconf/automake, the @PACKAGE_VERSION@ string can be used for
substitution.  If you use autoheader to create config.h and include
that into your source, you get #define PACKAGE_VERSION for free.

--
Chad Walstrom <address@hidden>           http://www.wookimus.net/