Re: [Monotone-devel] conversion of a prcs repository & diff with keyword

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] conversion of a prcs repository & diff with keywords
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 13:03:31 -0700

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 02:30:49PM -0500, Hugo Cornelis wrote:
> I currently use keyword expansion in configure.in to synchronize the
> version identifier in the binary with the version identifier of the
> version control system.  No manual interaction necessary, so no
> mistakes possible.  This is what I have in my source file :
>
> dnl $Format: "AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(neurospacesread,$ProjectVersion$)" $
>
> and the next line gets replaced with the macro call
>
> AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(neurospacesread,0.652)
>
> The version identifier propagates to config.h and to the sources and
> binaries.  The way I set things up, prcs enforces consistency between
> the repository identifiers and the identifiers in the releases that I
> build.  Can I do something alike with monotone ?

You might want to check out monotone's own build process for an
example of how to do this with automake.  Monotone does some
relatively complex stuff, though, to capture both the last version
and a description of any changes that have been made since then; I
wouldn't be surprised if you could get away with something as simple
as
  AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(neurospacesread,$(cat _MTN/revision))

.i dei jitfa fanmo xatra