Re: [Monotone-devel] conversion of a prcs repository & diff with keyword

From: Hugo Cornelis
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] conversion of a prcs repository & diff with keywords
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 14:30:49 -0500

Hi,

On 6/2/06, Chad Walstrom <address@hidden> wrote:
(subversion). If you go from prcs->subversion, you can go from
subversion->monotone with Tailor.

Subversion does not support merge history, so wouldn't I loose the
merge history in that case ?

> Second, from looking at the docs, I get the impression that monotone
> does not support keywords like $Id$, $ProjectVersion$ and alike.
> How do you deal with that when using monotone ?

With autoconf/automake, the @PACKAGE_VERSION@ string can be used for
substitution.  If you use autoheader to create config.h and include
that into your source, you get #define PACKAGE_VERSION for free.

I currently use keyword expansion in configure.in to synchronize the
version identifier in the binary with the version identifier of the
version control system.  No manual interaction necessary, so no
mistakes possible.  This is what I have in my source file :

dnl $Format: "AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(neurospacesread,$ProjectVersion$)" $

and the next line gets replaced with the macro call

AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(neurospacesread,0.652)

The version identifier propagates to config.h and to the sources and
binaries.  The way I set things up, prcs enforces consistency between
the repository identifiers and the identifiers in the releases that I
build.  Can I do something alike with monotone ?

Hugo

--
                   Hugo Cornelis Ph.D.

                 Research Imaging Center
  University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
                   7703 Floyd Curl Drive
                San Antonio, TX  78284-6240

                   Phone: 210 567 8112
                     Fax: 210 567 8152