Re: [Monotone-devel] [RFC] M.T. phone home

From: Marcel van der Boom
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] [RFC] M.T. phone home
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 11:00:47 +0200

On 8 jun 2006, at 10:45, Nathaniel Smith wrote:

But the basic problem is this: it would be really useful if we had a
way to get more metrics on how people use monotone in real life.  For
instance:
  -- what commands do people run most often?
     (maybe they should have the shortest names, and appear earliest
     in the docs, and get the most optimization effort)
  -- are there commands that people often run in quick succession?
     (maybe there should be sugar to make that more convenient)
  -- what percentage of merges involve conflicts?
  -- what percentage of merges involve messy tree-rearrangement
     conflicts?
  -- do selectors actually get used?
  -- what are the real-world statistics for trees?  E.g., for
     benchmarking, it can matter a lot how many files are in a tree,
     how deep the directory structure is, how many files are changed
     per commit, etc., and we don't know what numbers are actually
     representative.
...and so on.

Would it also be possible to see if people follow the 'intended philosophy'? I mean, on situations where monotone barfs something about tmp directories, orphaned nodes, rename conflicts and what have you, do they bail out and start over or do they 'use the force' to get back on track?

The above reminds me of the openlogging 'feature' that bitkeeper had/ has. Apart from what you described above, the main usefulness (to me) was to have a 'unified activity' view of the repositories. If people were working on stuff locally, experimenting, but not pushing yet, it showed me that and I was able to contact those people saying "hey, i see you're working on something which is also done by those two guys there, perhaps you want to set up some form of communication"

In general, the sending of the 'activity log' has a balance which tips over to the 'monotone hackers' on short term, users presumably benefit from the conclusions drawn from those logs by having a better monotone longer term.

If there would be a way, perhaps by not only sending the activity log to a 'monotone place', but also allowing users to set up their own 'project home'. Having information about your project's activity without having to go through the trouble to teach everyone how to 'serve' monotone (so revs can be exchanged directly) can be very useful.

marcel

--
Marcel van der Boom
HS-Development BV               --   http://www.hsdev.com