Re: [Monotone-devel] [RFC] M.T. phone home

From: Marcel van der Boom
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] [RFC] M.T. phone home
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 13:16:14 +0200

On 8 jun 2006, at 11:29, Nathaniel Smith wrote:

It's also not clear to me how this would work; if people aren't
pushing their code, why would they be pushing their logging info?
Admitted, this is also not 100% clear to me. Mentality perhaps.

If you grok the whole revision tree concept and how monotone can deal with it, no reason. There are plenty of mechanisms available in monotone to use, but with one pretty big condition: "you have to dive in yourself as a user" In many groups, where a big part of the developer population just follows suit and says: "ok, monotone it is" implements a minimal environment to get their stuff done, but doesnt go much further than that.

Some things which may play a part here:
* the "pushing is final" thought, whatever gets pushed, must be ok, so "not done" equals "not pushing yet", which is of course fine, but the few who *do* dive into monotone usually end up doing the merge work and resolve whatever is duplicated in parallell efforts (yeah, i know this is a group organisation problem really, just braining)
* multiple heads are scary; or perhaps confusing
* try to explain the procedure for dealing with 'orphaned nodes' or, in general, committing a child revision at a random place in the tree to reach a certain goal. Usual response: huh? (could be my explanation of course)
* general random snippet of questions i get:
    > joe: $mtn pull some.host 'some.branch'
    > joe: mtn: misuse: no database specified
    > joe: Now what?

But
monotone works hard to make pushing code orthogonal to project-level
decisions like that, so pushing code and pushing logging are pretty
much the same.)
True, and that orthogonality is perfect for those who dive, since it provides options and as an effect: trust in the tool. Finding the balance where 'divers' are comfortable and dont suffer too much from 'non-divers' without having stuff to make things easier for them (not because the 'divers' want to, but out of self-protection)

Perhaps i'm just doing a lousy job teaching people to dive. :-)
Anyways, just some thoughts.

marcel
--
Marcel van der Boom