Re: [Monotone-devel] [RFC] M.T. phone home

From: Nuno Lucas
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] [RFC] M.T. phone home
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 02:19:43 +0100

On 6/8/06, Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
I've been thinking some more about a feature that might be
controversial, so want to consult with the community before going
forward.  There are some old and relatively incoherent notes here:
  http://venge.net/monotone/wiki/CarrotAndStick

One thing that I believe is still missing (haven't checked the last
changelogs) is something like a "mtn db optimize", which could run
VACUUM and ANALYSE on the database as a minimum, and maybe some
optimization of the history (like optimize for the most checked out
branches or whatever other optimizations thingies).

My idea is that this command is a good place to implement that "phone
home" behaviour, and I don't think it should EVER be automatic (unless
with some obscure config option that only devels will know about).

Without thinking too hard on it, I would implement that "mtn db
optimize" command and add a "--phone-home" sub-comand.
If the "--phone-home" option is not given, then a message could be
shown. Something like this (just to get an idea):

<fake_output>
$ mtn --db mydb.db db optimize
[...some stats about the optimizing process...]
Done.

Some statistical data about the program usage was collected. Please
help the monotone developers improve this application (and the
'optimize' command) by posting this information.
This data is fully anonymous and you can inspect it with
"---view-stats-data-to-post-to-web" [you decide the name].
Please run "mtn --db repo --phone-home" to post the info.
$
</fake_output>

Just my 2 cents,
~Nuno Lucas