[Monotone-devel] Re: [RFC] M.T. phone home

From: Graydon Hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: [RFC] M.T. phone home
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 01:24:23 -0700

Nathaniel Smith wrote:

If you made it this far, thanks for reading :-).  I'll probably start
implementing this in the next few weeks (assuming that the response to
this isn't an overwhelming "this would be a horrible violation and
can't be done at all!"), but really want to make sure that we get the
details right so that people don't feel spied-on or otherwise
uncomfortable.  So, comments?

I know I discussed this with you, and expressed initial enthusiasm. But the more I think about it, the more clearly my preferences err on the side of privacy. I kept writing up lists of conditions and criteria, and they kept getting narrower and narrower, until I was left with the simple conclusion:

  Don't do it.

Much as I've often wished for such abilities in my programs, I have to say I now think it's a bad plan. I think people are so fed up with lying spyware that the merest hint of "gathering data" is enough to make users foam at the mouth. Maybe not every user, but programmers more than average, and crypto-y programmers more still.

I think we can gather enough data about "problems", for the short term, using synthetic benchmarks and tests. I'd love to gather the ergonomic data you'd get from such a feature too, but I just don't think users are going to like it, especially not in a domain as sensitive as version control.

Currently we're trying to beat the reputation of being "the VC that's too slow to use"; imagine how much worse it'd be to have a reputation as "the VC that phones home". No amount of user data is worth that. It's even worse than being "the VC which is full of buffer overruns" or such.

-graydon