Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Subversion Update Command Considered Harmful

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Subversion Update Command Considered Harmful
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 15:41:19 -0700

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 11:12:50PM +0100, Bruce Stephens wrote:
> Now I come to think of it, if monotone had a variant of explicit_merge
> that let me say that the merge should look exactly like one of the
> revisions, that would be sufficient.  That's probably not too hard to
> implement, either.  Does that seem useful to anyone else?

It's come up occasionally, mostly under the name "clobber merge" --
you can check the archives here and on the IRC channel for discussion.

It's a sensible thing to have (though the right UI in the long run
might just be workspace-merge + revert -r), and not hard to implement
directly; if anyone wants to write up a patch, feel free.

"The problem...is that sets have a very limited range of
activities -- they can't carry pianos, for example, nor drink
beer."