Re: [Monotone-devel] ikiwiki and monotone

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] ikiwiki and monotone
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 23:56:46 -0700

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 04:40:13PM +1000, Brian May wrote:

>     UTF> Just a thought, can't you exploit mtn attr set/get for that?
>     UTF> Give a file an attribute birth-date when you add it first
>     UTF> time to the repo?
>
>     UTF> And taking this thought further, maybe monotone should attach
>     UTF> this attribute, and maybe more than just this one, to a file
>     UTF> automatically when the file is added to the repository.
>
> I also considered this, however:
>
> * I read somewhere that attributes are slow.

Not particularly -- probably you are thinking of the comments on
  http://venge.net/monotone/wiki/UnixAttribsAndSymlinks
which have more to do with quadratic behavior from trying to update
hundreds of attrs without any kind of batching interface available.

> * I believe attributes are per file revision - so you would need to
> set the attribute for each revision (correct me if I am wrong).

No, they survive until changed -- the canonical use case is tracking
the unix executable bit.  You mark the file executable, it stays that
way :-).

All that said, I agree that using an attr for this smells all wrong...

Electrons find their paths in subtle ways.