Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: cvsimport branch reconstruction status

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: cvsimport branch reconstruction status
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 14:04:38 +0200

Hello Bruce,

Bruce Stephens wrote:
Which is cool: it would certainly be good to have a way to try and get
branches imported.

Yeah, it already does that (while breaking other stuff, though).

I confess that I think it might be better to do things in multiple
passes (with files inbetween) so that one can twiddle with the files
at suitable places.  CVS repositories tend to have messy bits which
might be better resolved by manual intervention.

I thought about doing it more the monotone way: offering lua functions where you can hook. For example to rename branch names to a more monotone looking branch naming. Or to decide how (or even where) to split blobs.

However, I've no idea whether that's at all practical.  Quite probably
not.  The intermediate files that cvs2svn produces turned out to be
too big for me to fiddle with conveniently, and maybe that's
inevitable.

I think so. And the format of cvs2svn files is not really human-readable.

It doesn't appear to compile (I tried
b9ad3efa71234bc4c83683ef63efb2fa765cefa7 and
3037a83cafbebaf21a8f32e19fca4c6e0b08b422).

Thank you for trying. Why does it not compile? On which file does the compiler fail?

It sure compiles fine here. Do you have the 'libboost-graph-dev' package installed (debian, must be named similar on other distros)?

$ mtn --version
monotone 0.30 (base revision: 3037a83cafbebaf21a8f32e19fca4c6e0b08b422)

Another note: I've decided to use boost graph's topological sort
before noting that monotone coded it's own graph stuff. Is it a bad
idea to link to boost graph?

Yes, I suspect so.  Fewer dependencies on bits of boost the better, I
think.

I'm not sure. We are using boost anyway...

Plus it's only a compile time dependency. "The Boost Graph Library is a header-only library and does not need to be built to be used." [1]

On the other hand if boost graph provides significant
advantages then probably nobody will mind.

I don't know if monotone's graph implementation is sufficient. Is it template based? What graph types can it handle?

I think boost graph currently gives me more flexibility when playing with different algorithms and implementations. And because I don't know yet, what exactly I need, I'm quite thankful for that flexibility.

Regards

Markus

[1]: http://www.boost.org/libs/graph/doc/