[Monotone-devel] Re: monotone CVS import failed.

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: monotone CVS import failed.
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 10:03:17 +0200

Hi,

Wow, thank you for trying! I'm surprised and honored ;-)

Jon Smirl wrote:
You can get the Mozilla CVS repository here:
rsync -az cvs-mirror.mozilla.org::mozilla ~/mozilla/cvs-mirror
The import was about 85% through the revs, 1.1M total.

Why do you think it's 85%? Are you expecting more than 894,279 versions? How did you count them? I'm sure there's a difference in counting or a bug in my code ;-)

I attached gconfig/nsinstall/nsinstall.c,v but I don't see anything
obviously wrong with it.

You are right, it hits a TODO. But that one certainly is after collecting all the CVS versions in blobs. It's just before the toposort, when trying to resolve circular deps. As I've told you, blob splitting in not implemented, sorry.

And repositories as huge as mozilla's certainly have some dependency cycles, thus blobs would have to be split. Which is exactly what's still missing. As soon as I have some free time I'll try to implement that function.

Did you watch memory consumption? Any idea how much it took? I think I can still optimize memory consumption, because I probably use that shared_ptr to often. But I'm optimistic, that all the algorithm can run in memory on a modern system.

I had the whole mozilla repo lying around one day, but then needed some free disk space and deleted it. I now take FreeBSDs cvs repo, which I still have around. It's around 3 Gb in size.

Regards

Markus