Re: [Monotone-devel] ViewMTN affected by Python security issue

From: Paul Moore
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] ViewMTN affected by Python security issue
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 10:11:11 +0100

On 10/23/06, Grahame Bowland <address@hidden> wrote:
ViewMTN is written in the Python programming language. There was
recently a security advisory for Python which I believe affects
ViewMTN installs:
http://www.python.org/news/security/PSF-2006-001/

It only affects wide-Unicode builds, which are not the default. A
number of Linux vendors supply such builds as standard, I believe, so
if you are running such a vendor-supplied version, and have not yet
received and applied a vendor-specific security patch, then this might
apply. (And obviously, it applies if you build your own Python and
enable wide Unicode).

[...]
I'd recommend upgrading Python on all ViewMTN servers.

Keeping up to date is generally good advice in any case, of course.

Paul.