Re: Bookmarks (was Re: [Monotone-devel] Tagging a revision?)

From: Markus Meyer
Subject: Re: Bookmarks (was Re: [Monotone-devel] Tagging a revision?)
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 12:19:03 +0100

Rob Schoening schrieb:
> Keep in mind that when people used to using other VCSs ask about tags
> or labels, they may not understand that what they're asking for is
> already provided by monotone by way of the SHA1 revision id, albeit
> not with friendly user-defined names.
You are right that this is technically possible, of course. Still it is
nice (in the user-interface sense) to be able to let the VCS manage the
mapping from release number to revision id. Otherwise you just add
another level of indirection (look up the revision id in the
configuration management / text file whatever) and need to copy-paste or
manually enter it, opening up a can of possible user errors. So while
tags are not strictly necessary, they are a "nice-to-have".

Also, while I agree that it has questionable value to frequently move
tags between revisions I still do think every edit I do in a software
should be undoable/correctable. It would be unfortunate if I tag a
revision by accident and do not have the possibility to correct this
mistake later.

Markus