Re: [Monotone-devel] Tagging a revision?

From: Markus Meyer
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Tagging a revision?
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 20:32:22 +0100

Chad Walstrom schrieb:
> Yep, it's called "mtn tag". ;-)  Note, you can't float a monotone tag
> from one revision to another.  You COULD tag multiple revisions with
> the same name, but that would just be weird.  A tag is simply a
> specially named cert on a revision.

Thanks everyone for their answers! Actually, I did read the manual [1]
and I came across the "tag" command but not knowing much about monotone
internals I couldn't conclude that this would really do what I expected.
One problem is that the documentation for "mtn tag" only says that this
command is a synonym for |mtn cert |id| tag |tagname" and the
documentation for mtn cert says "These commands create a new certificate
with name certname, for a revision with version id. If certval is
provided, it is the value of the certificate. Otherwise the certificate
value is read from |stdin|.". While this may be correct in the technical
sense, I'm not sure it contributes to the understanding of the user ;)

Markus

[1] Monotone Documentation - Certificate:
http://venge.net/monotone/docs/Certificate.html