Re: [Monotone-devel] mtn cat vs. mtn automate get_file

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] mtn cat vs. mtn automate get_file
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 16:47:38 +0100

Nathaniel Smith schrieb:
Does it matter?  If the file can be displayed reasonably as text, then
you might as well do so; if it can't, then it doesn't matter what the
user says, you can't show it as text.  I think a heuristic based on
the file contents should be sufficient here... (this is exactly what
diff(1) does, for that matter).

Now, if monotone could serve me such a heuristic, this would be nice. Otherwise I could only think of "check every byte in a string and if there is a zero byte \0, handle it as binary". I don't know if its that simple, but I doubt it a bit. What could make problems for example is text encoded in different encodings which use multiple bytes and I could accidently handle the first byte of one letter as a binary indicator. This leads me to another interesting question: Has monotone any internal knowledge of different charsets or is just everything utf-8 and only decoded into the user's charset if its written to disk? So, do I get contents in utf-8 out or the charset (whichever it was) the user checked in?

'cat' seems like a fundamental enough operation that we might as well
just provide it as a primitive.  ('get_file' is a primitive too, in a
difference sense.)  Perhaps get_file_of, by analogy to
get_manifest_of?

Out of curiousity: What is the difference between both primitives beside that they take different arguments? Wouldn't it be better to have one command with different input rather than two?

Thomas.

--
ICQ: 85945241 | SIP: 1-747-027-0392 | http://www.thomaskeller.biz