Re: [Monotone-devel] mtn cat vs. mtn automate get_file

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] mtn cat vs. mtn automate get_file
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 20:25:31 -0700

Thomas Keller wrote:
Tests and docs are one thing, however I don't think its a good idea to create a "second class automation command". If there are bugs, these bugs will be fixed. Having some intermediate command for testing just makes the acceptance for the new one a bit harder, me thinks.

Yeah, it's not a great situation. The problem is that "bugs" might be "this format sucks" or similar things, which is sort of what has happened with the current inventory format. The first version had some problems, and was reworked a bit, there were further problems and things changed some more, etc. which is all fine and dandy, except that there's basically no stability in the related automation interface and that is also a problem.

I'm very much open to suggestions on how to handle this. I'd like to see inventory fixed up as much as everyone else who's trying to use it. When I first wrote it, it was with the idea of writing an ide plugin and in response to the then current situation of having to execute various commands and parse their various outputs to try and see what state things were in.

I just have one little boy, but I already know perfectly what you mean =)

Indeed!

Cheers,
Derek