Re: [Monotone-devel] making opendiff wait

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] making opendiff wait
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 02:03:15 -0800

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 05:14:12PM +1100, William Uther wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   At the moment mtn can use the 'opendiff' command on a mac for
> merging.  By default this doesn't wait till you're done merging
> before it continues, so you have a special hook that asks for <enter>
> before continuing.  This is annoying.  :)
>
>   It turns out that opendiff does wait if you pipe its output
> somewhere (although it waits until quit, not until window close).
> This is a little script I use:
>
> #! /bin/zsh
> `/usr/bin/opendiff address@hidden

Wait, _what_?  That makes like.... no sense whatsoever.  (Which does
not contradict it being true, of course.)

If you google for opendiff, basically every hit is someone trying to
figure out how to achieve this result, and I'm told that apple's
internal bug tracker has had a bug open requesting this for 6+ years.

How the heck did you discover this?

What's the actual detail needed to trigger this, do you think?
isatty(1) returning false?

Does it give a useful exit code?

What happens if the user already has FileMerge.app running?  I assume
they have to exit out of it entirely?  (Not that this is likely to
come up much.)

So let us espouse a less contested notion of truth and falsehood, even
if it is philosophically debatable (if we listen to philosophers, we
must debate everything, and there would be no end to the discussion).
  -- Serendipities, Umberto Eco