Re: [Monotone-devel] Question on layering

From: Zbigniew Zagórski
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Question on layering
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 13:49:46 +0100

2007/2/22, Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden>:
Network traffic is harder to fix.  I can't tell either way whether
that's going to be a problem long term... we might be able to optimize
for space more (there's at least some win possible just by using
stream compression instead of the current packet-by-packet
compression), and average bandwidth keeps getting wider...  Certainly

I think that making packets decompressed as default would be good idea.
While testing the n.v.m.dumb on bigger databases I see that most of
monotone effort is at creating/reading packets. Maybe it's compression
which takes some time.
No i didn't profiled it, but it may be reasonable for transport (netsync/dumb)
to decide if compression is needed.

Maybe support two kinds of packets with&without compression ?
Compressed by default, but uncompressed with specific option ..
That's would make mess in code, but maybe it would useful.

Again, returning to n.v.m.dumb, are there any chances to make "cert
id" a public entity, so we can query for them by automate ?

(BTW. I'm polishing n.v.m.dumb so in few commits it will be usable for
small projects).

--
Zbigniew -zbigg- Zagórski
-- software developer -- geek -- happy daddy --