Re: [Monotone-devel] Wiki whiteboard for the great testcase renaming

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Wiki whiteboard for the great testcase renaming
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 12:39:29 -0800

(oops, this seems to have fallen off the mailing list)

On 2/22/07, Markus Schiltknecht <address@hidden> wrote:
Zack Weinberg wrote:
> Thanks!  The new names look good to me, only you haven't got them in
> alphabetical order.  Alphabetical order is how they get run, so if
> there's a particular order you want them run in, you need to adjust
> the names to reflect that.

Ups, yeah, sorry. I was hesitating with the ordering, because I'd like
to have the simpler (and faster) tests run first.

Right.  You could consider naming them cvs_import_1_foo, cvs_import_2_bar, etc.

OTOH, maybe we should simply stick the CVS repositories in there and not
build them on the fly, which takes longest. I can still leave the
documentation about how the repository was created in the tests. What do
others think?

I'm definitely in favor of checking the built repositories in, both to
save time and to reduce the number of external tools one needs to run
the test suite.  You could have a separate  "makerepo.sh" in each
directory that contains an exact recipe for constructing it.

> I didn't want to start renaming things unitl we were sure we liked the
> naming conventions, is all.  Right now I feel like they're a little
> sketchy.  If you're sure you know how the cvs_import tests should be
> named, yeah, go ahead and move them.

Okay, cool. That's going to help me in my branch, too. I'll rename them
soon, then.

Would you mind renaming basic_invocation_and_options to
00_basic_invocation_and_options at the same time?  I think the name
for that is pretty clear, but I don't have time to do it myself.

zw