Re: [Monotone-devel] Command design and naming?

From: Ulf Ochsenfahrt
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Command design and naming?
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 12:33:36 +0000

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> Option i would be a grave mistake, in my opinion, for two reasons:
>
>  - years of having monotone work the way it does, and that way being
>    very well designed (in my opinion).
>  - To change it to be a CVS lookalike would break the elegance of the
>    design, and reduce its power, psychologically and philosophically.

I agree with Richard. I switched to monotone because it has a really
simple conceptual model that maps directly to its commands. _In
particular_, the network operations are strictly separated from the
version control stuff. Before even knowing monotone I've suggested a
similar approach on the tla mailing list (with no success). I can hardly
overstate that separating network access is really the only way to make
disconnected operation work reliably.

Cheers,

-- Ulf