Re: [Monotone-devel] Command design and naming?

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Command design and naming?
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 15:03:40 +0100

William Uther schrieb:
> It would be very possible to do what I'm suggesting with scripts.  But I
> think that other people are going to have the same issue(s).  I think
> many users are going to give up on monotone before they write themselves
> scripts, which is sad, but I think accurate.  I would like to avoid that.

I can understand both opinions here, but in the end I'd personally vote
for a little more syntactic sugar as well, but _without_ changing
existing commands or functionality (whatever option this was in your
original proposal). I vote for that because somebody else already
started the work on a mtn clone command which already provides a
shorthand for a common functionality and I also vote for that because I
want to type less _without_ creating scripts I have to replicate from
one computer I use to another everytime.

> From the tone of your email I suspect that my email volume is annoying
> you.  I would like to avoid annoying people if possible.  Having said
> that, Monotone is a very nice VCS, but it hits people transferring from
> other systems with a fair few gotchas.  I have also used a bunch of
> systems.  I think monotone is great.  I would like to try and smooth out
> some of the annoying little catches.  I think many people here have been
> using it for so long they've forgotten the new user experience.

In general many people here like ready patches more than endless
discussions on feature X which is then eventually being implemented or
not. Having code which shows what you want is a much better discussion base.

In the meantime it came into my thinking if it would be possible to
implement any of these new commands without doubling the code of the
existing ones by creating an internal concept of "command chains". Each
single command could therefor be combined with another command based on
a set of rules like preconditions, postconditions and so on. A command
chain would be a command which would just call other existing commands
in a certain order. Once this works, creating even more syntactic sugar
would be just a matter of hacking in more command chains.

Thomas.

--
ICQ: 85945241 | SIP: 1-747-027-0392 | http://www.thomaskeller.biz