Re: [Monotone-devel] Command design and naming?

From: Thomas Moschny
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Command design and naming?
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 15:28:16 +0100

On Friday 23 February 2007, William Uther wrote:
> C: For update:    mtn pull branch && mtn merge && mtn update

You may want to take into account that there might be users that don't have
write access to the projects central server(s). So, 'automatic' merge might
produce a revisions that will only exist locally, but never travel to the
central repo. Not sure whether that is a real problem, though.

But you are of course right with your observation that one often has to type
'mtn pull && mtn update'. So what about having a --pull switch for update that
uses the default arguments of the last pull?

The update will of course abort if there are multiple branch heads, leaving
the user with two commands to type in that case: mtn merge && mtn update.

> B: For commit:    mtn commit && mtn pull branch && mtn merge
>                   && mtn push branch

Here again, reservations against such an 'automatic' merge, albeit for an
other reason: People might want to (or should I say: they *should*) review
the result of a merge before pushing.

However, similar to the proposal above, I'd like to see a --push option for
commit. Note that it can even push when we created divergence, so the current
user is not bothered with the merge.

That's an important point anyway: Merging is simple (and thus automatic) in
many cases, but it may not sometimes. And I don't want to be forced to do a
merge when I don't know how. This might be a big project, and I worked on
parts of it far away of the conflicting parts.

Regards,
Thomas

--
Thomas Moschny  <address@hidden>