Re: [Monotone-devel] Master Thesis

From: William Uther
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Master Thesis
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 15:11:42 +1000

Heh,
  Off the top of my head:

- An analysis of the relationship between different text merge algorithms:
     - Three way merge
- Three way merge of annotated files (i.e. where the lines are identified)
     - Operational transformation theory / DARCS merge
     - Weave merge / codeville merge

  - An analysis of the right way to extend *-merge to text

- Design a bunch of different UIs for distributed version control and compare them on both novice users, advanced distributed version control system users, and advanced non-distributed version control system users

- Most current conflict detection systems look for conflicts some number (0,1 are most common) of lines away from the changes. You could make this language dependent and see what happens... Check whether this is actually original, for example I know there is work on XML merging.

That's what immediately springs to mind.

Cheers,

Will       :-}