Re: [Monotone-devel] YANQ (yet another newbie question)

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] YANQ (yet another newbie question)
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 07:38:29 +0200

Hi,

Ken MacDonald wrote:
I created a branch in a subdirectory,

That very first line already makes me suspicious: why do you create the branch in a subdirectory? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but: monotone is not like subversion, a branch is a branch - not internally the same as a subdirectory.

using what I found out later was
the "wrong" name according to our naming conventions. In that
subdirectory, I created a file and committed it to the DB. I realized
my mistake, went back up,

By 'went back up' you mean, you did 'mtn update -r $ANCESTOR'?

and created a new subdir, with a different
name (turns out it's still wrong, sigh). Re-created the file with the
same name. Then went back up and deleted the "wrong" subdirectory and
contents (using the filesystem commands, not mtn), went back into the
"almost-right" subdir and committed, which tells me that I've created
divergence, and may (or not) want to merge it away.

...hm.. you shouldn't have created divergence, if you didn't do the above 'mtn update -r $ANCESTOR' step. Or else, you forgot to 'mtn update' after a 'mtn sync' or something.

C:\mydb\almost-right_branch>mtn merge
mtn: 2 heads on branch 'net.cti.kippers.main'
mtn: [left]  84f197168b9040ac6ae2f4348e27bff6dc9d4015
mtn: [right] a4628d1c27d7e771066f73c7caed1f79838b8eac
mtn: warning: rename target conflict: nodes 3, 1, both want parent 0, name
mtn: warning: resolve non-content conflicts and then try again.
mtn: error: merge failed due to unresolved conflicts

So, at this point I can't merge and would like to be able to get rid
of the original version,

'mtn db kill_rev_locally' might help you. Make sure you kill the right revision, and make sure your workspace has another parent revision, than the one you are going to delete.

but I can't 'drop' it because the path
../wrong_branch/file is gone, and I'm not sure what will make this
happy again.

Well, it's only gone in that new revision and in your workspace, which presumably has the same state as that new revision. If you don't want to kill the old revision, you might want to 'mtn update -r' to that revision, delete the directory there, commit yet another, diverging revision, then merge (which should succeed as soon as the two revisions don't have name conflicts anymore).

Of course, I can delete the whole DB and start again
since I only have one file, but I'm thinking ahead to when that may
not be as practical.
Thanks for any suggestions to help sort this out,

I hope that gives you an idea of possible solutions to your problem.

Regards

Markus