[Monotone-devel] Re: YANQ (yet another newbie question)

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: YANQ (yet another newbie question)
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 16:43:28 +0100

Jack Lloyd <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 04:22:46PM +0100, Bruce Stephens wrote:
>> There are cases where what you're doing might still make sense, IMHO.
>> Where the nested workspaces are of external projects, which might have
>> different branching policies, etc.
>
> Wouldn't merge_into_dir be the 'right' thing to use in that case?
> (I've never used it but it seems like the thing to try for the case of
> including an external project into the source tree, based on how it's
> described in the manual).

It's certainly an option, yes.

Depends.  You (probably) wouldn't want to use it if the external
project is changing too fast (the propagates will produce relatively
large revisions, because they describe all the renames each time).  So
if you're trying to track an external project's CVS or something, then
using merge_into_dir's possibly not the right thing to do.

If net.venge.monotone were to start over, I imagine merge_into_dir
would be exactly the right thing to use for botan, lua, sqlite.