Re: [Monotone-devel] YANQ (yet another newbie question)

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] YANQ (yet another newbie question)
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 18:19:46 +0200

Hi,

Ken MacDonald wrote:
It's called ClearCase; it actually becomes your filesystem, with all
access to files, directories, etc. pretty tightly controlled. In
general you can't just move, rename, or delete files or directories
without ClearCase's 'approval', so "do it and monotone will figure it
out" is a fairly drastic change. I've also worked with CVS, PVCS, CMS,
and a few others I've forgotten. No SVN (so far)!

Hm.. I don't know ClearCase. Can one get an evaluation version or something for that?

c:\mtn_km\ .... all of my project directories are under this main directory
c:\mtn_km\kippers\ ... my 'kippers' project
c:\mtn_km\sardines\ ... my sardines project
c:\mtn_fs\kippers\ ... fred's copy of 'kippers' project...
c:\mtn_server\kippers\ ... "central" copy of 'kippers'
... etc.

This would keep the top level of the disk structure a bit more
manageable after more projects are generated.

Sounds good.

Of course you're right there. The nomenclature of mtn is rather
different than other VCS's I'm familiar with. In particular, I find
"divergence" amusing,

Heh, yeah, it's confusing for most people coming from a centralized VCS. But after a few automatic merges of diverged revisions, you'll just love it and never want to go back!

Um, we're doing website development mostly with PHP, MySQL, Flash, and
HTML/XHTML, so our 'projects' tend to be e-commerce or display sites
for local or national businesses and community organizations.

Okay, good to know. Do you mind adding a link to your company in the wiki - we could probably use some more 'company coverage' here:
http://www.venge.net/mtn-wiki/ProjectsUsingMonotone

At any time, we're engaged in active development or site updates for
perhaps half a dozen of them. Some will probably migrate immediately
into mtn, while others are fairly static, for instance we may just
update their "upcoming artists" page once a month. In a case like
that, we probably do not absolutely need a VCS, as we'll have only a
single developer at a time making updates

Oh, I'm using monotone even for my very own projects. But I must admit that I'm somewhat fanatic about history and changelogs, etc... ;-)

Have fun with monotone!

Regards

Markus