Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: New commands (for mtn, in lua)

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: New commands (for mtn, in lua)
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 13:40:41 -0700

On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 09:57:24PM +1000, William Uther wrote:
> On 04/09/2007, at 6:51 PM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> >Everyone has this problem, i.e., this is a bug in 'mtn up'.  Let's not
> >use extensibility as a way to plaster over problems in the core :-).
>
> There was talk of adding a new option to sync before updating.  Not
> sure that's a
> good solution.  A better solution would be to sync by default and
> have an option
> to turn it off.
>
> I'm not sure I like either of those.  I really think of them as two
> separate commands - remote update and local update.

I think my preferred behavior would be:
  mtn update  -> like current 'mtn pull ; mtn update'
  mtn update -r <something>  -> no pull
  mtn update --local  -> no pull

I doubt it makes much difference whether we call it 'update-local' or
'update --local'.

The main concern people had was of plain 'mtn update' misbehaving when
people were offline -- hanging for a long timeout, blowing up, etc.
Not sure how much of a problem that would be in practice.  One way to
find out would be to just enable it and see who screams :-).

(Alternatively: use D-Bus to ask network-manager whether we're online
or not!  I bet this would actually work for a lot of people...)

So let us espouse a less contested notion of truth and falsehood, even
if it is philosophically debatable (if we listen to philosophers, we
must debate everything, and there would be no end to the discussion).
  -- Serendipities, Umberto Eco