Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: New commands (for mtn, in lua)

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: New commands (for mtn, in lua)
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 07:26:29 -0700

On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 02:04:23PM +0200, Ulf Ochsenfahrt wrote:
> Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> >The main concern people had was of plain 'mtn update' misbehaving when
> >people were offline -- hanging for a long timeout, blowing up, etc.
> >Not sure how much of a problem that would be in practice.  One way to
> >find out would be to just enable it and see who screams :-).
>
> I have around 106 projects in my database with a total of 5648
> revisions. Automatically syncing on update is absolutely _not_ an option
> for me.

I don't understand the connection between these two sentences.  Could
you expand?

> You are mixing up things that don't belong together. Don't do that.

As far as I can tell, 99% of our users would be happier if we did (and
I am one of those users).  Usually I run update because I want to
bring my workspace up to the latest code before starting to hack, and
to get the latest code I need to check with the project server.  So
I'm having trouble seeing on what basis these things objectively
"don't belong together". Again, could you expand?

So let us espouse a less contested notion of truth and falsehood, even
if it is philosophically debatable (if we listen to philosophers, we
must debate everything, and there would be no end to the discussion).
  -- Serendipities, Umberto Eco