Re: [Monotone-devel] Hooks...

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Hooks...
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 16:50:26 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Wed, 5 Sep 2007 07:20:01 -0700, Nathaniel Smith
<address@hidden> said:

njs> but presumably the goal is to solve real problems :-).

Right.  However, there are such things as foreseeable problems as
well, as long as we don't go too far into lah-lah-land.

njs> The one that comes to my mind is "I want netsync hooks called for
njs> my CIA notifier *and* my commit mail notifier".  This is pretty
njs> easy now, just define a hook that calls the others, but anyway,
njs> if we wanted more formal machinery for that, then obviously what
njs> it would be was a way to register a list of netsync notifier
njs> hooks, which are called in some arbitrary order whenever the
njs> relevant event occurred, with return values and errors ignored,
njs> and no need for any other fancy stuff.

Are you saying that we should make this a special case for the netsync
hooks?  I've no problem with that per se (actually, it could even be
easier to code that directly in Lua), but I'm wondering what to do
next time an issue like this comes up.  Another special solution?

njs> Maybe there are other use cases too that I'm not thinking of,
njs> they might have other requirements.

Point, which also leads to specific special solutions.

(this is a little of a "pick your religion" thingy, just like the
bazaar and the cathedral ;-))

Cheers,
Richard

-----