Re: [Monotone-devel] Hooks...

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Hooks...
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 14:47:52 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Wed, 5 Sep 2007 09:34:01 -0300, "Alex Queiroz"
<address@hidden> said:

asandroq> Hallo,
asandroq>
asandroq> On 9/5/07, Richard Levitte <address@hidden> wrote:
asandroq> >
asandroq> > So I've a proposal to make this easier, and it's to have a hook
asandroq> > registry in monotone, and changing the way hooks are implemented to
be
asandroq> > anonymous functions that are used as arguments to a registration
asandroq> > function, 'add_hook' perhaps?
asandroq> >
asandroq>
asandroq>      Yeah, it's a good proposal. Give events names and then:
asandroq>
asandroq> add_hook(event, func)       -- adds a hook and returns an id
asandroq> remove_hook(event, id)     -- remove previously added hook

We need to think a few steps further, me thinks:

- What do we do with the values returned by the hook functions,
  especially if one event has more than one hook function registered?
- Do we want to make it possible to give a priority to hook functions?
  That would require a priority parameter to add_hook().
- Do we want a third function that returns information about a hook,
  such as how many functions are attached and their identities (the id
  returned by add_hook()), and whatever other data there may be.
- Do we want to be able to identify some hook functions by name?

Cheers,
Richard

-----

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/