Re: [Monotone-devel] Hooks...

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Hooks...
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 11:17:49 -0700

On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 04:50:26PM +0200, Richard Levitte wrote:
> In message <address@hidden> on Wed, 5 Sep 2007 07:20:01 -0700, Nathaniel
> Smith <address@hidden> said:
>
> njs> but presumably the goal is to solve real problems :-).
>
> Right.  However, there are such things as foreseeable problems as
> well, as long as we don't go too far into lah-lah-land.

Sure.  All I'm saying is, let's forsee them :-).

(Though, YAGNI has its strong points too.)

> njs> The one that comes to my mind is "I want netsync hooks called for
> njs> my CIA notifier *and* my commit mail notifier".  This is pretty
> njs> easy now, just define a hook that calls the others, but anyway,
> njs> if we wanted more formal machinery for that, then obviously what
> njs> it would be was a way to register a list of netsync notifier
> njs> hooks, which are called in some arbitrary order whenever the
> njs> relevant event occurred, with return values and errors ignored,
> njs> and no need for any other fancy stuff.
>
> Are you saying that we should make this a special case for the netsync
> hooks?  I've no problem with that per se (actually, it could even be
> easier to code that directly in Lua), but I'm wondering what to do
> next time an issue like this comes up.  Another special solution?

I don't know -- presumably it depends on the issue?

I'm not saying the netsync hooks are the only thing that might benefit
from this kind of solution, just the only one I can think of.  (I
didn't think about it very long.)  By all means suggest more.

In mathematics, it's not enough to read the words
you have to hear the music