Re: [Monotone-devel] Using Monotone with PuTTY's Pageant

From: Ralf S. Engelschall
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Using Monotone with PuTTY's Pageant
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 13:32:27 +0200

On Tue, Sep 11, 2007, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> As it isn't obvious how to drive Monotone on a Unix server with an RSA
> private key loaded into Pageant (PuTTY's ssh-agent(1) variant) on a
> Windows desktop, here are the required steps -- just for information and
> for the record:
>
> 1. Generate the Monotone RSA private/public key pair
>
>    $ mtn genkey address@hidden
>
> 2. Export the Monotone RSA private key
>
>    $ mtn --key address@hidden \
>      ssh_agent_export example.evp-rsa.pem
>
> 3. Convert the exported RSA private key into the particular
>    format PuTTY's PuTTYgen tool is able to read:
>
>    $ openssl rsa -in example.evp-rsa.pem -out example.rsa.pem
>
> 4. Convert RSA private key from PEM to PuTTY Private Key (PPK) format:
>
>    - run "puttygen" under Windows
>    - select menu entry "Conversions" -> "Import key"
>    - load file "exampke.rsa.pem" (usually from your Samba share)
>    - set field "Key comment": "address@hidden"
>    - set fields "Key passphrase" and "Confirm passphrase"
>    - press button "Save private key"
>    - save file "example.rsa.ppk"
>
> 5. Load "example.rsa.ppk" in PuTTY's Pageant -- Voila!

Ok, sorry for perhaps not being clear enough: this is for being able to
load the Monotone RSA private key already _during login_ to the Windows
desktop, of course. So it is already available when you login to the
Unix servers the first time. For just a _temporary session solution_ one
can simply use the Unix ssh-add(1) command and this way load the key
into Pageant remotely, of course. But that's not what I wanted. I want
that the Monotone RSA private key is loaded already at desktop login
times -- together with the other (regular) SSH private keys.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       address@hidden
                                       www.engelschall.com