Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: cannot drop non-empty directory during branch u

From: William Uther
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: cannot drop non-empty directory during branch update
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 12:34:20 +1000

On 19/09/2007, at 9:39 AM, J Decker wrote:

I really really don't want to delete these files, I will very soon be
back to work in this space...

On 9/18/07, J Decker <address@hidden> wrote:
mtn.EXE: switching to branch com.fortunet.altanik
mtn.EXE: warning: cannot drop non-empty directory
'src/fut/flashdrive/flashdrivetester'
mtn.EXE: misuse: 1 workspace conflicts

this is caused by creating a project with sources and building it,
which created objects and sub-directories in the path; then update to
a revision previous to the addition of that directory....

If a thing is not empty, it issues a warning, but then fails to
actually update.

(screams and runs around waving hands wildly) This is about the 6th
time this week I've run into this as I've been bouncing between the
versions...

Jim

Let me guess, monotone was never intended to work like this, so it's a
non issue.

Hrm - if the files are auto-generated, then you should just delete them. You can re-generate them when you update back to this revision again. But you say you don't want to do that, so I assume that they have original data. In which case you should 'add' them to monotone.

If you add them to monotone, then it will delete them for you when going back to the previous revision, and restore them for you when you move forward again.

Other options include:

* Move that directory out of the way before you update. Move it back when you return.
 * Use two working copies
* Branch your project - use propagate to move things back and forth. This is a bit orthogonal to your specific problem, but might be useful anyway.

Be well,

Will        :-}