Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: cannot drop non-empty directory during branch u

From: Ethan Blanton
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: cannot drop non-empty directory during branch update
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 00:06:35 -0400

William Uther spake unto us the following wisdom:
> On 19/09/2007, at 12:51 PM, Ethan Blanton wrote:
> >William Uther spake unto us the following wisdom:
> >>Hrm - if the files are auto-generated, then you should just delete
> >>them.  You can re-generate them when you update back to this revision
> >>again.  But you say you don't want to do that, so I assume that they
> >>have original data.  In which case you should 'add' them to monotone.
> >
> >There is another possibility -- maybe they are simply expensive to
> >generate.
>
> I'm not sure this makes a real difference.  Either you want to re-
> generate them or you don't.  If you don't want to re-generate them
> then you should add them.

Not really, you're missing the case where you *can* regenerate them,
and you don't want to ship the generated files to other people, but
you would rather not.  There is a reason we implement caching in so
many places.  ;-)

> I actually think something maybe could change here in mtn.  When a
> directory should be dropped in an update, but it contains unversioned
> files, rather than failing at that point the versioned files should
> be removed and the directory left behind as a normal unversioned
> directory with the unversioned files in it.

I concur.

> I think that is an optimisation though.  I think the original
> description is better handled with two working copies.
>
> >Several times in renaming directories in the Pidgin source
> >tree, I've had to blow away quantities of object files which I would
> >rather have kept, all things being equal.  (They could, of course, be
> >kept by tarring them up, removing them, renaming, and extracting or
> >what-have-you, but they're just not *that* expensive to generate!
> >[Pidgin isn't C++, after all... ;-)])  In such a case, it really would
> >be nice if the non-versioned files just moved right along with the
> >versioned files.
>
> Um, I don't understand.

<snip mtn mv example>

I think the problem comes not on a mv, but on an update through a
revision which includes the mv ... I'm not entirely sure.  I *do* know
that we have had multiple revisions in Pidgin's history where monotone
refused to update due to non-versioned files in the workspace, and
left the workspace in various states of unusability in the process.
There are really two problems there -- one is the refusal to update
through things it could otherwise handle, and the other is the
unusable workspace.  We're talking about the former, here.  ;-)

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.