Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: cannot drop non-empty directory during branch u

From: Ethan Blanton
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: cannot drop non-empty directory during branch update
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 22:51:22 -0400

William Uther spake unto us the following wisdom:
> Hrm - if the files are auto-generated, then you should just delete
> them.  You can re-generate them when you update back to this revision
> again.  But you say you don't want to do that, so I assume that they
> have original data.  In which case you should 'add' them to monotone.

There is another possibility -- maybe they are simply expensive to
generate.  Several times in renaming directories in the Pidgin source
tree, I've had to blow away quantities of object files which I would
rather have kept, all things being equal.  (They could, of course, be
kept by tarring them up, removing them, renaming, and extracting or
what-have-you, but they're just not *that* expensive to generate!
[Pidgin isn't C++, after all... ;-)])  In such a case, it really would
be nice if the non-versioned files just moved right along with the
versioned files.

I realize that the issue isn't quite so simple, but there *is* a
third, reasonable possibility.  :-)

(Assuming I understood the problem correctly.)

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.