Re: [Monotone-devel] Key identities...

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Key identities...
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 00:33:15 -0800

On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 07:55:10PM -0600, Timothy Brownawell wrote:
> Could we also handle this by making process_data_command error() on
> data_exists for a key item? I believe all keys are sent before any certs
> are sent, so this should block any key collision errors from propagating
> over netsync.

It already does error out if you try to put two keys with the same
name into the same db.  I'm not quite sure how the developer in
question managed to achieve this -- maybe Ethan will explain in more
detail.  It sounds like he once upon a time generated a key, issued
some certs, and then erased that key and used another key for all
actual work -- and now, much later, somehow managed to accidentally
release one of those old certs into the wild.  I don't know if the db
that the bad cert came from even contained the offending key or not.

Does netsync really send keys first before certs?  I don't remember
that.  (In general we don't consider it an error to have a cert
without a key, so it might not be being handled the same way as say
files-before-revs-before-certs.)

Does netsync send certs that it doesn't have a key for?  Those should
probably just be ignored, but perhaps they aren't...  (For that
matter, is there any reason to ever send along a cert with a broken
signature?  Of course, we don't cache signature checks in the db ATM
and checking cert signatures is expensive, sigh.)

So let us espouse a less contested notion of truth and falsehood, even
if it is philosophically debatable (if we listen to philosophers, we
must debate everything, and there would be no end to the discussion).
  -- Serendipities, Umberto Eco