Re: [Monotone-devel] Key identities...

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Key identities...
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 00:35:46 -0800

On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 07:13:08PM +0100, Richard Levitte wrote:
> So, I'm wondering, is there any reason, except for the database
> migration that will follow and the fact that *someone* will have to do
> the job, that stops us from switching to identifying keys by
> fingerprint rather than name, at least internally?

Define "identify"?

It is certainly a security problem to allow a user to end up with
multiple keys that are indistinguishable in normal use, because they
are always described the same way (by printing the key name).
(Running 'ls keys' and squinting at the output does not count as
distinguishable in normal use.)

Eternity is very long, especially towards the end.
  -- Woody Allen