Re: [Monotone-devel] more on commit without -b option

From: William Uther
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] more on commit without -b option
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 15:16:03 +1100

On 12/11/2007, at 2:48 PM, Derek Scherger wrote:

After a brief chat on irc today I was left with the following
impressions as to where this might go.

- remove -b from commit (Thomas Keller already has this done)
- add a mtn branch command for creating new branches that sets the
 workspace branch option for future commits. This should fail if the
 new branch already exists (Thomas has this done too although I'm not
 sure it fails if the target branch exists).

If you're going to do this, I'd have it fail if the branch exists and has a non-suspended head. If all heads are suspended then I'd consider letting the
branch command succeed - it would allow you to re-use branch names.

Apart from that, the changes to commit seem reasonable. The changes to the other commands seem like a fine design, but they're also a large change. I'm not convinced it would be worth it (but I don't feel strongly either way).

Will          :-}