Re: [Monotone-devel] more on commit without -b option

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] more on commit without -b option
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 21:13:14 -0800

On Nov 11, 2007 7:48 PM, Derek Scherger <address@hidden> wrote:
> After a brief chat on irc today I was left with the following
> impressions as to where this might go.
>
> - remove -b from commit (Thomas Keller already has this done)
> - add a mtn branch command for creating new branches that sets the
>   workspace branch option for future commits. This should fail if the
>   new branch already exists (Thomas has this done too although I'm not
>   sure it fails if the target branch exists).

As someone who habitually edits _MTN/options to get this effect, may I
add that it would be really nice if this sequence

# workspace is on branch foo.bar, but not at its head
$ mtn branch foo.bar.newbranch
$ mtn update

brought the workspace to the head of foo.bar, without changing the
selection of foo.bar.newbranch for a subsequent commit.  (This is
*not* what happens now; you get an error message, have to say
-rh:foo.bar, and then you lose the .newbranch selection.  To make this
more motivated, consider setting .newbranch, going away for a few
days, and then wanting to update to the latest baseline before you
start hacking.)

> - I like the idea that the branch command with no arguments lists the
>   current branch

+1 from me.

> - could we remove the branch guessing code from commit? I can't think of
>   a case where saying commit without first having set the branch makes
>   sense. (maybe we could just do this on mainline?)

Also +1.

zw