Re: [Monotone-devel] mtn: error: sqlite error: database is locked

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] mtn: error: sqlite error: database is locked
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 10:16:09 -0800

On Dec 26, 2007 3:16 AM, Tobias Hunger <address@hidden> wrote:
> > 1) [...]  At this stage it would also be good to refactor the
> > database object using the pointer-to-opaque idiom, so that none of its
> > instance variables are visible.
>
> I already did that in a patch I send to this mailing list 5th of November (The
> title was database_class_cleanup.patch). It still has one open issue
> (rcs_import uses private database stuff a lot and breaks with my path), but
> I'm willing to clean that up. My impression was that the current rcs_import
> implementation is a huge clutch that we should replace anyway, so I skipped
> fixing this for now.

I will make a note to find this patch and review it, but I won't be
able to get to it until early January.

> Some completely unrelated topic: I was already tempted to use Qt for the DB
> access... that provides a common wrapper to all mayor open source databases.
> But adding such a dependency will only make sense if it is used widely in
> Monotone in the long term. Qt does feature SHA hashes, File and Dir
> abstraction, etc. which would be useful in several places AFAICT.

I'm sorry, I'm not a fan of this idea.  The experience with Boost for
that sort of thing was that it was more effort to work around
abstraction mismatches than it was to just implement the things
ourselves.  (Pretty high on my todo list is to go through all the
filesystem access code and make us stop calling stat() so much -- that
was not a thing that could be done while we were still using
boost::filesystem.)

zw