Re: [Monotone-devel] options for automate inventory

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] options for automate inventory
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 05:19:02 -0500

William Uther <address@hidden> writes:

> On 14/01/2008, at 11:18 AM, Thomas Keller wrote:
>
>> Stephen Leake schrieb:
>>> So the simple boolean options '--no-unknown' etc won't work with
>>> 'automate stdio'.
>
>>> Changing 'automate stdio' to handle no-value options does not seem
>>> straight-forward.
>>> I'm planning to use '--unknown false', '--ignored false', '--
>>> unchanged
>>> false', with the default value of 'true' for each option.
>
> That's ugly.
>
>> I'm voting for teaching stdio to understand the o6:option0:e syntax.
>
> +1 (for what that's worth :)

As others noticed, 0: does work in automate stdio for flag options.

So I've committed new automate inventory options --no-ignored,
--no-unknown, --no-unchanged, with appropriate tests, manual update,
and NEWS entry.

In addition, I fixed/changed automate inventory so it does not recurse
into ignored directories. On my typical workspace, which has compiler
output files in a directory 'objects', that gives a factor of two
increase in speed, as measured from Emacs DVC (that includes the Emacs
processing time, but monotone dominates).

--no-ignored --no-unchanged gives another factor of three increase in
speed.

I don't think there is a use case for having known files in an ignored
directory, but if there is, we can add another option to allow
recursing into ignored directories.

--
-- Stephe