Re: [Monotone-devel] options for automate inventory

From: William Uther
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] options for automate inventory
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 21:51:18 +1100

On 14/01/2008, at 9:19 PM, Stephen Leake wrote:

As others noticed, 0: does work in automate stdio for flag options.

Cool :)

So I've committed new automate inventory options --no-ignored,
--no-unknown, --no-unchanged, with appropriate tests, manual update,
and NEWS entry.

In addition, I fixed/changed automate inventory so it does not recurse
into ignored directories. On my typical workspace, which has compiler
output files in a directory 'objects', that gives a factor of two
increase in speed, as measured from Emacs DVC (that includes the Emacs
processing time, but monotone dominates).

--no-ignored --no-unchanged gives another factor of three increase in
speed.

While I'm thinking of it, I wanted to post to record another idea I had...

I don't know how many people use MacOS, but it has two features that might help here. The first is common to a number of systems - you can register
to receive events when the filesystem changes.  That is a private API on
MacOS though, and it would require having a daemon running all the time.
The second feature is directly more useful - there is a system daemon that
listens to the first API and records all changes, fseventsd.  You can
request a list of all changes in the filesystems below a certain
directory, since a certain time.  The granularity is a little coarse -
directories rather than files, and multi-second time increments. But that
isn't a huge problem - you just scan the directories that might have
changed, rather than everything.

Just a thought...

Will       :-}

P.S.  Here is a link to the Apple docs for those interested...

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Conceptual/ FSEvents_ProgGuide/index.html