Re: [Monotone-devel] options for automate inventory

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] options for automate inventory
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 15:02:39 +0000

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 08:03:35AM -0500, Stephen Leake wrote:
> > The thing is that the interface_version wasn't designed to support
> > "intermediate" versions of monotone at all.
>
> Is there any rationale documentation beyond the comments in
> cmd_automate.cc? monotone.info has the same statement.
>
> If we want to have a rule that says "don't increment interface_version
> minor or major number more than once for each mtn release", then it
> needs to be documented in cmd_automate.cc at interface_version.

That has been the rule historically, just because versions between
releases are "not real" -- if someone accidentally committed a change
that bumped the interface_version to 1e9, for instance, we would just
revert it before releasing, we wouldn't consider ourselves bound by
it.  Sure someone could check out that development version and their
tool would see a weird interface version, but you check out
intermediate versions, you takes your chances; it's not our
responsibility.

More documentation is always good, of course.  (It'd be really nice if
the manual said something useful about how interface_version's mapped
to ordinary releases, and which commands actually got broken with each
interface_version bump, too, for that matter!)

Electrons find their paths in subtle ways.